SolarBox offers a range of battery types and brands for Off-grid dual battery systems and caravan/camping applications. We work closely with our suppliers to ensure we can offer you the best possible prices! We pride ourselves in stocking and selling quality batteries with a reputable name in the industry with Australia wide warranties. Our most common battery types are Lithium, AGM & Gel batteries.
Our brands include:
- Discover AES & Lithium Blue LiFePO4 & Discover AGM
- Victron LiFePO4, AGM & Gel
- SimpliPhi Lithium Ferrous Phosphate (LFP)
- Invicta LiFePO4 Slim Line and Standard Cases
- Zeal LiFePO4
- PowerPlus Energy Lithium Ferrous Phosphate (LFP) Rack Mount & Automotive
Enjoy your next camping trip while your solar panels are backed by a battery storage system.
If you are a caravan or motorhome enthusiast that is already equipped with solar panels to power your caravan, we recommend that you add a quality deep cycle battery. A deep cycle battery is responsible for storing excess solar power for powering the electronics in your caravan, off-grid shed, or 4WD when your system fails to produce enough solar power, most likely at night or on cloudy days.
We at SolarBox Australia offer the highest quality solar batteries online at competitive prices. Quality, deep cycle batteries are the perfect addition to any great Caravan, RV, 4WD, boat or Off-Grid installation.
What is the life expectancy of Deep cycle batteries?
Deep cycle batteries have a good life expectancy, just like solar panels. The life expectancy of batteries in solar applications is highly dependent on the brand, battery chemistry, operating temperature and depth of discharge (DOD). Most AGM and GEL batteries would have a life expectancy of 2-7 years. Most lithium batteries have a life expectancy of 10 years+. This will vary depending on the variables mentioned above. It’s important not to discharge your lead-acid batteries more than 50% of their capacity to maintain their life and capacity.
If you consider the variables above and choose a quality battery brand that we offer at SolarBox Australia, you will have longevity and great deep cycle battery lifespan.
What are the benefits of using Lithium batteries in caravans, camping, 4WD or marine?
Because lithium batteries have several advantages, the number of individuals who want to install them in their caravan, camping, 4WD, and marine is steadily rising. Here we have compiled some of the important benefits. Find them below and evaluate whether Lithium solar batteries are worthwhile while you are travelling.
- More usable capacity: With lead-acid batteries (AGM, GEL, Calcium, Flooded) the recommended maximum depth of discharge is 50% to prolong battery life. Meaning if you have a 100Ah lead-acid battery, the recommended usable capacity is only 50Ah. With most lithium batteries such as Invicta you can comfortably discharge up to 80% of its capacity. This means a 100Ah lithium battery would have 80Ah of usable battery capacity.
- Efficient charging: Most lead-acid batteries can only handle a maximum charge current of 30% of their rated capacity to recharge them. I.e a 100Ah lead-acid battery should not receive more than 30 amps. The ideal charge rate of a lead-acid battery is 10-20% of their capacity. They charge quickly during the bulk charging phase which makes up the first 80% of their capacity. The last 20% of the charging phase is called absorption and this generally takes the longest. The charger automatically applies a lower current and a variable voltage to gently finish off the charging phase. Depending on the condition of your battery this absorption phase can take up to 6 hours to complete. Lithium batteries charge more efficiently than lead-acid batteries. Depending on the specs and quality of your lithium battery, they can handle 50-100% of your batteries rated capacity. I.e a 100Ah lithium battery can be charged at 50 amps or more. They also don’t slow down during the absorption phase like lead-acid batteries. This means with the correct size battery charger you can recharge a lithium battery from flat to fully charged within a few hours.
- More cycle life: There are a number of factors that can influence how many times you can cycle / discharge a battery. As a general rule of thumb most AGM / GEL batteries will last around 600-800 cycles at 50% depth of discharge. Lithium batteries on the other hand can be cycled down to 80% depth of discharge for around 2000 cycles. If you only take 50% out of a lithium battery then this number will increase even further. It’s important to know whilst lithium batteries are more expensive up front compared to an AGM battery they will provide a much longer service life in the long run.
- Up to 50% less weight: Lithium batteries weigh approximately half the weight of lead-acid batteries. This can be important to consider if you are an owner of a caravan and worried about your GVM. (Gross Vehicle Mass is the maximum total mass of a fully loaded motor vehicle as specified by the vehicle manufacturer). Alternatively if you are using a battery in a portable solution you might find the lithium battery easier to move around than a heavy lead-acid battery. I.e You have a caravan with 3x 120Ah AGM batteries. In total these would weigh around 90-100kg. At 50% DOD your AGM batteries would provide 180Ah of usable capacity. If you were to upgrade to a lithium battery system, you would find a 200Ah lithium battery to provide 160Ah of usable capacity and would only weigh around 25kg. The weight saving of 60-70kg can then allow for you to carry extra water, fuel etc.
- Safe: The most common lithium chemistry that we use in caravans and off-grid applications in today's market are “Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) or Lithium Ferrous Phosphate (LFP). These are the safest lithium chemistries that you can use. Most lithium batteries will feature a built-in BMS which protects the lithium cells from: Over discharge, overheating, under or over voltage warnings etc. The BMS is effectively a sophisticated on/off switch and will disconnect from the lithium cells as a safety precaution. If the BMS turns off you will need to use a lithium compatible battery charger on a very low current setting to “wake the battery up”. SolarBox recommends using a Victron battery charger.
- Can sit unused: Lead-acid batteries must be kept at least 80% charged or ideally higher than 12.6V when not in use. This is because of sulfation. Sulfation is the build-up of lead sulphate crystals that form on the active material of the batteries plates. If the lead-acid battery is left in a discharged state (flat) then the crystals begin to form larger and larger on the plates and as a result your battery will start to lose capacity or could fail prematurely. If the battery does start to sulphate internally you will also notice that the battery gets hot while charging. Lithium batteries are not prone to corrosion or sulfation as their chemistry is not made from lead. In fact, lithium batteries are usually shipped at 50% charged to meet international shipping standards. This means that a lithium battery doesn’t have to sit fully charged at all times if left for weeks or months at a time.
What is a solar battery bundle?
A solar battery bundle contains multiple components that your energy system needs. For example: A bundle might consist of the Lithium battery, Lithium AC charger, Lithium DC-DC charger and a battery monitor. It’s important to purchase “Lithium compatible” battery chargers so that you do not void your battery warranty. Other bundles may include a Pure sine wave Inverter or an efficient MPPT Solar controller. Opting for solar battery bundles that are available at SolarBox Australia is an excellent and cost effective way to get the whole solar system.
Why should you choose us to buy solar batteries online?
- Solar batteries are a user-friendly installation. If you intend to rely on do-it-yourself methods, this is for you.
- All our solar batteries are easily upgradable as per your energy requirements.
- We only offer branded solar batteries that help you with long-term battery life and cost savings.
- The solar batteries you buy at SolarBox Australia can last up to a minimum of 5 years if sized correctly and looked after.
SolarBox solar batteries online
"SolarBox Australia is the most trusted and genuine online distributor of batteries and solar solutions for your caravans, 4WDs, recreational vehicles, and marine. We only sell top quality brands and systems that are warranted and supported in Australia. We have a great track record for our service and have also received positive reviews from customers over the years for the solar batteries that we have delivered. If you ever need to buy solar batteries online, visit our website because we could be the best choice for you. Feel free to contact us for more information.